These subjects are foremost in my life right now. My Passions – intellectual & physical. Pregnancy. And as always, Yoga.
And linked to these are time, energy, motivation & space (physical & mental space – clear the floor of toys & debris, clear the mind of chatter for a few moments)
Last week I wrote about my relation to Balance during this pregnancy . These days the above things all meet in perfect harmonious balance when I finally move myself into a yoga pose that feels OH so right. As though my body needs to move in certain ways to make space, stretch, release – sometimes my hips feel so stuck & hard that I feel like I’m carrying 2 bags of pebbles on either side of my hips! And that’s when I start to circle my hips – small circles at first, spiralling into bigger & deeper circles. The softening & releasing begins. Blood flows easily & I start to feel good. Sometimes a catchy tune is playing at that moment that might have inspired the hip circling & swaying. My 3 yr old daughter gets involved shaking & swirling her own little bendy body 🙂
This is my current Yoga practice – of the moment, pure & impulsive – not assigned to a sacred time & space of silence & stillness. (Although I still need those sacred times too!)
This little baba in my belly always reacts to the new movements, to the shift in gravity – swirling & spinning & kicking. I know it feels good. Baba knows. And the science has figured it out too.I thought I should share the ‘sciencey bit’ with you as a reassurance that the beauty of yoga movements during pregnancy ( and at any time in life) are not to be feared – ‘Am I doing it right?’- or guilt ridden -‘Will this hurt my baby?’. They are there for you to explore, enjoy & return to again & again for the goodness they offer your body & mind.
So here they are – the Major Benefits of Prenatal Yoga – as experience currently by me & many other Yoga Mamas.
- Enjoying Yoga during Pregnancy helps promote good stress management & relaxation.
- The above benefit leads easily to No 2. – The journey of Pregnancy is enhanced through the promotion of Emotional Wellbeing by a regular yoga practice, particularly in a group setting.
- General Fitness (stamina) & health is enhanced and maintained. The cardiovascular, nervous & circulatory systems are all nourished during a Yoga session. This leads to the assertion that blood pressure, hormone regulation & energy levels are improved or strengthened as a result of a regular yoga session.
- Improved Balance, Flexibility & Tone – a mother can move with grace & ease as she maintains muscle tone, prevents or eases back & hip complaints & posture is aligned as a result of a Yoga practice.
- A heightened awareness of her body & baby during a Yoga session means Mothers are more Empowered as they prepare for Labour & Birth. She has a deeper awareness of her body and through the yoga practice she has developed the tools she needs through breath, relaxation & yoga movement to have her needs met. In this sense a mother is not a passive participant of her pregnancy & labour, but she is active, is flexible in her perspective & grounded in her body.
Over the coming weeks I will share a Yoga movement with you once or twice a week that you can bring into your daily life and pregnant or not you will feel good. Explore them. Be Curious. And let me know what you feel about them. What works? What feels stuck?
How do you find out more? Check me out on facebook to keep up with my current sessions – for pregnancy & general Yoga or feel free to drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. And you are welcome to follow my blog journey here too :). x